Article Comment: Handheld <span class="highlight">Satellite</span> <span class="highlight">Phone</span> Solutions for Travellers

Hello all, we haven't been travelling outback lately due to personal reasons but we've kept our Sat phone which our kids have used occasionally. We have had the $10 plan for some years now and like others, the phone has been sitting in the cupboard. Recently Telstra have decided to up the plan to $40 a month for the next 12 months and after that it will be $45,which is getting a bit to high to ignore. Is there any other cheaper plans out there that we could look at. We have an Iridium 9505A handset. Thanks in advance.

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:09

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:09
Hi Dunworkin, it's been a while. What you could do is sell it to your kids and let them worry about the bill and then buy an Imnarsat sat phone (Satellite phone sales in Subi are the dealers). The advantage is that they are a pay as you use phone so once you've purchased it and the usual initial registration cost you just buy phone credits. Big big downside is that if anybody phones you their call cost is horrendous, whereas outgoing calls are comparable. Texting is free. I've had mine now for a few years and have been reasonably happy with it.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 631948

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:38
Hi Duncan, yes it has been a while, far too long. Love your suggestion of 'selling to the kids', if we said to our kids we'd 'sell' them the Sat phone they would think we'd lost our minds, what's ours is theirs in this place, but a good idea none the less. We've taken your suggestion of repurchase on board and checking it out. Thanks for your reply.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908335

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 15:37

Thursday, Jun 04, 2020 at 15:37
Use Skype to call an IsatPhone.

About $2.70 a minute last time I looked.
FollowupID: 908406

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:14

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:14
Hello

Sorry cant help with plans but keep in mind if you have a Telstra Mobile (post paid + international roaming enabled) you can use the sim out of that when away + I think the phone will work for emergency calls (000) with no sim at all if that's all you want it for (better check if that is the case - not 100% sure which sat phones do or don't do this).

Strange your plan has changed - my $10 Telstra one is still going strong - Mobile Accelerate Casual Plan - maybe ask to change to that?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631949

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:45

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:45
Hi Greg, thanks for your reply, if you still have your $10 plan I'd lay very low and keep quiet if I was you, Telstra would love to know about it. Ours went from $10 - $20 - now $40 to $45 next year, my hubby's mobile phone is on that Mobile Accelerate Casual Plan that you mentioned, that started at $10 and has recently jumped to $35. I guess Telstra has to get some profit somehow.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908336

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 10:49

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 10:49
If it jumps to $45 they will be not be making any profit as I will dump it :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908352

Reply By: Zippo - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:40

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:40
Don't know which plan you were on.

I'm on the same plan as Greg (MobileAccelerate Casual Plan) and that is still being billed monthly at $10. While there were others at a $10 price point in the past, they have been consumed by Telstra's quest for profit.

There has been much talk over the last couple of years about that plan being discontinued/no-longer-available. It was NEVER a publicised plan, NEVER in store, and only available "back-of-shop" and even then its availability was entirely at the discretion of the Telstra CSR you dealt with. It was intended as a transition device for customers moving between other plans/arrangements.

Whether that plan is still available for signup I do not know. Fingers crossed it continues for those of us lucky enough to be on it.

(Note the choice of number - 911 being the Merkin emergency number.)

AnswerID: 631951

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:54

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:54
Hi Zippo, My hubby has his mobile on that plan you're on, it started at $10 and is now $35, hopefully they've overlooked yours, not sure why they're bumping up our charges, my mobile has gone up as well from $30 to $40. Thanks for your reponse.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908337

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 21:13

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 21:13
Dunworkin, IS it the same plan? There used to be more than one $10 plan with Telstra. I'd like to see one of your accounts to verify yours was/is the same.
FollowupID: 908342

Follow Up By: dean ( SA ) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:05

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:05
Same here, I had that plan and now it's 40pm with a 10 credit for 12 months. Telstra told me all old plans will be upgraded this year to this extra small plan.
FollowupID: 908358

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:57

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:57
Zippo, our Satellite account has ' Telstra Mobile Satellite' whereas my Hubby's mobile phone has 'Mobile Accelerate Casual Plan' on it and it also started at $10pm and has now been upped to $35. I might point out that Hubby's phone could almost be donated to a museum.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908360

Reply By: Mark C9 - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:58

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 15:58
I cant comment re the latest costs but when I had one, I bought air time from a US website. cheap as chips
do a search, im sure they will still e selling airtime plans
AnswerID: 631952

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:55

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:55
Hi Mark C9, I will check that website out. Thanks for your reply.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908338

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 08:43

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 08:43
Be aware that if you get an international plan such as an 8866 type number, people will be charged between $18 and $30 per minute to call you!!! Yep. That's per minute.

You can't leave a message and get people to call you back as they have to call 0011 8866 xxxxx
FollowupID: 908348

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:40

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:40
Wow, thanks Boobook, that certainly is a catch for young players...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908359

Reply By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 17:49

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 17:49
Folks satphone was also put upto $0 per month as well, and that was some time ago.

Im yet to have a play and put in a standard telstra sim card and see if that works or not, ie from own mobile phone and try call out from it to another mobile phone.

One thing I did find out and believe its a big issue for comms out bush, Telstra satphone don't allow you to call 13 xx xx numbers like WAPOL -it will allow you to dial 000.

Some situations warrant 000 but if your situation isn't "life threatening" the 000 centre don't like you contacting them with "information" ie stranded motorists no fuel or wrong fuel 100+ km away from nearest fuel supply or recovery service.

I discussed this matter with a SJA commcen call operator other night at a private function , advised me at worse case call SJA they have contacts who can then be advised accordingly.

AnswerID: 631955

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:00

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 20:00
Acronyms and abbreviations don't help those not familiar with them.

One can guess at WAPOL and a commcen, Some people may not be able to work it out.

What the heck is an SJA ?
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 908334

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 21:00

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 21:00
Hi Dean K3, I would be interested to see how you go with the sim from your phone in the Sat phone. A very interesting comment you made about your conversation with St Johns call operator, and yes, I agree the WAPolice probably wouldn't be too impressed calling '000' because you ran out of fuel in the middle of the desert. Thanks for the reply.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908339

Follow Up By: Zippo - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 21:10

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 21:10
Dean, it WILL work with any Telstra SIM on a post-paid account with international roaming enabled - chargeable at Iridium rates in/out.

Won't work with their various resellers on the Telstra Wholesale network i.e. Aldi/Belong/....
Boost is the only Telstra Retail reseller and I haven't been able to try them, nor have I heard any reports.

Deploying your Telstra SIM in an Iridium phone has two issues. One, it is a time-consuming fiddle to extract it from your cellphone. Secondly, the SIM SIZE - the Iridium 9505A/9555 use a mini-SIM, while most cellphones of the last 7 or 8 years use micro or nano. Having and using an adapter is a compounding fiddle, not to be underestimated in an emergency situation.
FollowupID: 908341

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 07:08

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 07:08
What Zippo says....

Also

1)Boost doesn't work. I tried it on a working SIM. Actually Boost is prepaid so that could be why.
2)The other disadvantage of using your normal day to day Telstra SIM is that when you put it in the Sat phone you may get lots of missed calls or messages ( if you have been out of coverage for say a week) and these cost $1.50 ea. Also, you will get normal calls with people not knowing you are paying $4 a minute to receive them. This would be a last resort IMHO.

FollowupID: 908344

Follow Up By: Zippo - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 11:07

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 11:07
Frank, I'm a bit surprised.

SJA = St John Ambulance. That's even the first listed entry at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SJA

Some just say "ambos", but those with a working interaction with them usually use the TLA.
FollowupID: 908353

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 14:39

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 14:39
Heh, heh, thanks Zippo. :-)

I should have known. In my past life I lived by TLAs...

AIP, VFG, SLF, AOI, ERS, RVR, VTC, RNC, WAC, RTC, SID, IAL, SMC, ADC, TMC, AFS..... the list was endless.
Even had a TLA for my occupation :-). And then there were the four and five letter ones as well.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908361

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 07:54

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 07:54
Zippo,

In both Vic. & NSW, St Johns Ambulance are a voluntary organisation similar to the SES. In Vic. we have Ambulance Victoria, & in NSW, I believe it is the Rural Ambulance Service. So acronyms in one state can be meaningless to someone who is not from that state. I had no idea what SJA was.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 908435

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 09:05

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 09:05
Apart from Frank's "WAPOL" and "commcen" none of the above are acronyms. They are initialisms.
To be an acronym it needs to be pronounceable as a word.
Here endeth the english lesson.
Signing off with a TFI (two-finger initialism) lol..... ("lol" is an initialism too)
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 908436

Reply By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 19:03

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 19:03
Due to C-19 I have not been using my sat phone. I have a pivitel account so rang them & got a $5.00 a month account for 3 months whilst i'm not using it so i can keep same number etc, & it will still ring 000 & will look at account later
AnswerID: 631957

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2020 at 21:06
Thanks Vince, will check them out.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908340

Reply By: dean ( SA ) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:14

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:14
Same story as the others...$10 plan now 40pm with various increases in between. By questioning I've received a 10 credit pm for 12 months. While talking to Telstra they told me all old plans will be moved to this one. Looks like it's happening as this is coming up regularly now. So for me once 12 months have elapsed I'll buy a dedicated sat sim @ 45pm.
AnswerID: 631964

Reply By: Gramps - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:35

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 13:35
Not quite what you're after Dunworkin but Pivotel's $15/mth plan works fine for me.

Regards
AnswerID: 631965

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 15:31

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2020 at 15:31
Mrs P does most of the phone comms in our house. So when we travel she keeps her Telstra phone. I put my Telstra SIM into the satphone and use it only for emergencies. As Optus has got the jump on Telstra in many outback communities we put a pre-paid Optus SIM into my phone. This works pretty well for us.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 631968

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 17:20

Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 17:20
Dunworkin

I have a 9505a and I use my Telstra sim in my Sat phone . I am on a $35 Plan and I have been using it this way for years .

Not sure of call costs but who cares when it a emergency .

Cheers
AnswerID: 632003

Reply By: Mark C9 - Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 17:32

Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 17:32
A bit off topic but I think people may be under a false sense of security re sat phone reception
I had a plan where if I didn’t use the time allocation each mth, I lost it (ie it didn’t roll over)
Many times when I was nearing the end of the mth allocation and so I tried to call people and IT JUST DIDN’T WORK, especially during NT wet season storms, (a time when things go bad on the water)
They are very temperamental.
If you really want it for your own safety, get a GPS ENABLED EPIRB. At least you know the signal will get thru.

AnswerID: 632004

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 18:04

Friday, Jun 05, 2020 at 18:04
Mark,

It all depends on the value you place on a safety device. If you get a cheapie phone on a cheapie plan then you cannot expect it to 'be there' when you need it. Maybe OK for social use, but......
If you want it as a life-saving device you need to pay a buck or two with a top phone and a post-pay plan.
Mine is not "temperamental'.

And with a phone you DO know the signal "gets through" because someone says "hello". With a GPS you HOPE the signal is getting through while you wait a few days for the cavalry.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 908428

Follow Up By: Mark C9 - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 17:56

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 17:56
Thanks Allan B
Mine wasn’t cheapie. Top of the line iridium
My plan wasn’t cheap either. A mate who runs a hunting safari operation in the NT put me onto the plan. He couldn’t afford to miss a call from a potential customer
When I said temperamental, I was talking about the hit/miss times when I was in the scrub and it just didn’t work. Tree canopy cover stops the signal
They are very hit and miss in the bottom of a ravine when the walls prevent signal reaching the sat
They are very good in the dry season away from trees etc but storms kill them
Have you been lucky enough to be caught in the middle of a NT a river or even out to sea in the middle of a wet season storm?
on 2 occasions, I was talking to someone on the ph until a storm hit and then the signal dropped out
It’s the same as Sat tv. When a storm rolls in, the signal just cant penetrate the dense storm.
If it is a life and death situation, I’ll take an EPIRB any day. These days the signal will be received by the satellite in minutes and then AMSA is notified immediately.. $350 for a 10 year life

FollowupID: 908438

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 18:05

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 18:05
Strange that "the signal just cant penetrate the dense storm." yet the EPIRB can do it reliably during a dense storm.
In point of fact, I have both systems.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 908439

Follow Up By: Mark C9 - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 18:19

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 18:19
I didn’t say the signal from an epirb can penetrate the big storms any better than a sat ph, but once activated the epirb CONTINUOUSLY sends a signal until you switch it off.
It will not drop out for a min of 24 hrs
The signal will penetrate any small gap in the storm, and once the signal gets thru, AMSA will set the wheels in motion in MINUTES.
I have 2 mates who fly the rescue choppers in NT and they told me the finer details of the system. Its much better these days with the new system
JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET THE GPS ENABLED EPIRB, NOT THE CHEAPER non gps VERSION
Unlike a sat ph, you have to wait til the storm passes.
FollowupID: 908440

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 20:25

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 20:25
Yes, an EPIRB will get them coming to you but they will have no idea of the nature of the emergency, other than it is life threatening. I suppose they will pack the kit required to cover most of the possibilities.

So say you need to discuss your emergency needs. An EPIRP or any other beacon won't help you with that.

Texting through inReach or Spot may work, but better still is a satphone.

We carry Spot (primarily for family tracking, but also good for SOS), A GPS enabled PLB and an Iridium satphone. We chose Iridium because, though not perfect, it is least susceptible to poor horizons and has consistent coverage on the Australian continent.

They can find us with either of the two location beacons we have, and we can talk through our situation if we can/if needs be.

I don't believe there is one single solution. IMO you need location (PLB/EPIRB/Spot) plus communication (satphone).

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908444

Follow Up By: Mark C9 - Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 20:49

Saturday, Jun 06, 2020 at 20:49
Thanks, I've not heard of spot, I’ll look into it
I agree that there is no one single solution
Epirbs are only supposed to be used in an emergency but many ‘locals’ have used them to ‘bring Beer and fuel’
We have terrible coverage in aust
I have been fishing 20 kms off Darwin with the city buildings still in sight but no mobile phone service.
I can recall being in Africa and watched Masai warriors tending their cattle in the middle of nowhere – they were all on their mobile phones
They will drop a rescue package incl 2 way radio if they cant land

FollowupID: 908445

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, Jun 07, 2020 at 17:49

Sunday, Jun 07, 2020 at 17:49
I noticed today that Telstra put the call rate of Iridium calls up to $5 per min from $4.
AnswerID: 632022

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jun 07, 2020 at 18:28

Sunday, Jun 07, 2020 at 18:28
Hello

My last Iridium Sat Phone bill (May) with Telstra Sim - SMS = 0.25c each, Off Peak Phone call ~1.10c/min - don't know what price is when not "off peak"

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 908457

Reply By: JR - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:33

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 10:33
Sat phones on Telstra sat plan that aren't used for a month or so are logged off the network, go to use it and it wont connect
Have to ring them to get reset...…………. not on the sat phone obviously

Be aware Spot and others rely on a third party in US to handle your emergency, Any subscription or third party problems could see you with nothing
PLB and EPIRB talk directly to AMSA
AnswerID: 632063

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 12:00

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 12:00
Hi JR,

That "log-off" is not the case with my Iridium 9555 on a Telstra Satellite plan. It has been switched off for the past 8 months (alas) and I just now went out and turned it on. Took 20 seconds to auto-register and I dialled my mobile which rang within 5 seconds. As always. When away remotely, it affords me much comfort.
It is possible to test my PLB but messy so I just trust it will work if needed.

Maybe something different with your setup?

My satphone is not used often but it sits in a pouch near the passenger's head, constantly on, registered, and connected to the 12v and an external antenna. Always tested before leaving home. Never a problem.... wish all my communications were as reliable!

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 908495

Follow Up By: Zippo - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 13:29

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2020 at 13:29
Agree with Allan.Mine hasn't been on the network for the best part of nine months, but I repeated the test that Allan did. Had to actually go outside to get it to register, then it was about ten secs before my mobile rang.

(Mine is - as mentioned earlier in this thread - on the "Mobile Accelerate Casual Plan $10".)
FollowupID: 908499

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 02:16

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 02:16
Thank you all, JR, we've had our Irridium for about 9yrs and have never had that problem, we've had it sitting in the cupboard for up to 2yrs at a time and it still works when we try it before leaving home. Thanks for the warning though.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908524

Follow Up By: JR - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 08:48

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 08:48
Happened on a 9505 and now Extreme handsets
When reset, they just say "it happens sometimes", occurred to me 5 or 6 times over maybe 10 years
monthly cost kept rising and wasn't available when needed
Finally cancelled sat plan and using normal postpaid SIM it seems OK other than stuff around swapping SIM cards
And I recall it had to be reset during office hours too

Do a check before leaving mobile range if going to be reliant on it and carry PLB
FollowupID: 908526

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 11:08

Thursday, Jun 11, 2020 at 11:08
Weird!
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 908529

Follow Up By: Life Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 01:09

Friday, Jun 12, 2020 at 01:09
Thanks JR, we usually do check it before we leave to go anywhere. Thanks for the heads up.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 908553

Sponsored Links